Wednesday, June 17, 2009

I posted this little fun fact a while ago, but thought I'd share it again!!

Found this interesting bit of historic trivial in one of my many Felting Books. I love Lewis Carroll's Alice in Wonderland (I've read it over & over). I think the quirky & whimsical adventures that Alice go on are amazing. I am always so envious of any artist who can create & articulate a new and imaginative world all their own. I just don't think I'm that creative!!

Mad Hatter

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The Hatter is a fictional character initially encountered at a tea party in Lewis Carroll's Alice's Adventures in Wonderland and later again as "Hatta" in the story's sequel, Through the Looking Glass. He is popularly referred to as the "Mad Hatter," but is never called by this name in Carroll's book- although the Cheshire Cat
does warn Alice that he is mad, and the Hatter's eccentric behavior
supports this. (Likewise, the chapter in which he first appears, "A Mad
Tea-Party", is often called "The Mad Hatter's Tea Party")....

The name 'Mad Hatter' was undoubtedly inspired by the phrase "as mad as
a hatter". There is some confusion as to the origins of this phrase. Mercury
was used in the process of curing felt used in some hats. It was
impossible for hatters to avoid inhaling the mercury fumes given off
during the hat making process. Hatters and mill workers often suffered
mercury poisoning as residual mercury vapor caused neurological damage
including confused speech and distorted vision. It was not unusual then
for hatters to appear disturbed or mentally confused, many died early
as a result of mercury poisoning...

Pretty funny huh? They said this is one theory as to the origin of the Mad Hatter. I am truly thankful that I live in an OSHA world. Yea safety regulations!!!

BUT...

Then maybe I could come up with some truly unique ideas. Granted, I would be probably be delusional and think they were real, but it is the price you pay for TRUE GENIUS!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment