Friday, July 24, 2009

Angler Fish: Day 17 & 18

Sorry it's been a couple of day since I last posted. I actually had to go to work for a day, then had to recover from going to work for a day. That's right, I had a job (for a day)!!!! It's been a while since I was a working girl, so it wore me out. It was a nice fun job, finishing up a couple small sculptures for Disney. It was at a new shop, the local scenic shop that makes alot of the Rose Bowl Parade Floats, so it was a great networking experience. Hopefully they will call me back soon!!

In the mean time I have done a little work. I need to finish up another Custom Order for this weekend, and I also wet felted some teeth for the Angler.


So I made about 50 spikes for teeth. I wet felted them like in my previous tutorial on "How To Make Felted Spikes". Be sure to check it out, cause I'm lazy and don't feel like reposting the whole tutorial here for you today. But there are detailed instructions, although I just noticed the awesome animated GIF I made for it is gone... Boo!!!





Angler Fish Process 112
So here are the 50 teeth I made. It only took me about 1 1/2 hours. they are kinda loosy-goosy so I still need to needle them a bit to firm them up. I like make spikes cause it's kinda mindless work, so I sat and listened to the radio & felted.






Angler Fish Process 113Here's me needling the teeth a little. I'm going to share a super easy trick with you. The easiest way to felt down wool is to first compress the fibers down, then felt them. If you compress the fibers, you only have to needle them a little. So with these teeth, I squeezed the tooth together, felted down the tooth, turned it and squeezed and needled some more. It kinda silly and self explanatory, but it works!




Angler Fish Process 114
Here's the difference between a needle-felted tooth & a non needle-felted one. You can see how much cleaner the refelted one looks.


Today, finish needling the teeth & start attaching to the Fish. Also, get the electronics put into the "fishing rod" and attach that. ALMOST DONE, only a couple more days!!!!

1 comment:

  1. Thats going to be a nice set of "chompers" . I hope he appreciates how hard you worked on them .

    ReplyDelete