Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Inspired by a Fetish


fet·ish

[fet-ish, fee-tish]
noun
1.
an object regarded with awe as being the embodiment orhabitation of a potent spirit or as having magical potency.
2.
any object, idea, etc., eliciting unquestioning reverence,respect, or devotion: to make a fetish of high grades.

Synonyms 
1.  talisman, amulet. 


What kind of Fetish did you think I was talking about?  

Dirty, Dirty...


When we were traveling on our road trip across the southwest, we came upon some beautiful little carved sculptures made by the Zuni Indians.  


Zuni fetishes have been used for many purposes: to enable hunters to catch game, to make game more plentiful, and also for curing ceremonies.  Fetishes may protect individuals as well as the community.  The Zuni believe that animals are more like the deities and have more power than man.  The Zuni also believe that both practical and spiritual power reside in their fetishes.

This is a book that I got when we bought our 2 little carvings.
I wish I had more time to read it!
This isn't exactly the one that we got, but our looks just like this.
White buffalo with a few beads, but our has turquoise horns.

I've always loved all sorts of symbolism, especially when it comes to religious & cultural symbols.  Animals, colors, flowers, tattoos, etc.  I think that's why I'm so infatuated with these beautiful little carvings.  Everything from the colors, to the type of stone, to the animals, to the offering beads.  


I have an idea of a project I'd like to do.  It's kind of a sculpture-a-day project.  I actually started my first one, but then work started up, so it's a sculpture, period for right now. Just quick little sculptures, maybe a 1/2 to 1 hour a piece. 

 




Here are a few examples of some of the little fetishes I'd like to make:


ArmadilloSlow, Sure, Gets things right. Keeper of the home

Dolphinspirit of friendship, trust, loyalty

Spidercreative patterns of life

Turtleoldest symbol of Mother Earth, longevity

No comments:

Post a Comment